Thursday, March 9, 2017

Entry #11 What I learned in boating school is......

I'm not going to lie. When it comes to writing, sometimes I feel like Spongebob Squarepants. 12 hours go by and the most significant thing I have written down is my name in the top left corner of the page.

However, getting the opportunity to blog my English class assignments has been really fun. I was able to talk about topics that interested me and I had the freedom to develop my own voice and writing style.

Blogging has taught me to enjoy writing and to be proud of the posts I make. To be able to write what I want and see it unfold on social media is probably the most fun I've ever had writing. I hope I can continue with this blog going forward. The possibilities are endless.

I think more English professors should implement writing projects that involve blogging or other creative outlooks like maintaining a website. Students benefit from the freedom of expression that comes with writing on social media. It is more relevant because all students will leave college. This means that most of them will never write academically again. If they have the exposure to blogging or writing on social media, then they have a real life application for their writing. Companies prefer individuals who can effectively market and promote on social media. Most professional organizations even use social media to discuss their achievements and research goals and progress. These projects will allow students to see better applications for English composition and it will make them competitive in their chosen career fields.

School should not have you feeling like good ole Spongebob to my right. Professors should help students feel like what they learn is meaningful and applicable. The best way to do this is by offering diversity in assignments.

With that in mind it is time for this chapter of my blog to close. If you enjoyed what you saw on my blog then please stay tuned there will be more in store. Whether or not its a continuation of my academics or just for fun, blogging will remain a part of my life.







1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear you found such value in the Blog Project, Blake (though I would have been more surprised if you said you didn't!). Your awareness of rhetoric and your own writing voice have both developed significantly during this project. It is great to see, and I think it is a smart idea to keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete